A guest post from Angel Ramos.
Around Hollywood, it seems to be trendy to wear sneakers with a suit.
But like most trends, there’s a right and a wrong way to do it.
You’ll see gentlemen such as Justin Timberlake, Adrian Grenier (Vincent Chase), and even Russell Simmons sporting sneakers on the red carpet. In my opinion those guys are some of the reasons I used to say, “I just can’t do it”.
But then, there are Hollywood fashion guys that get it. In my opinion, when it comes to sneakers-with-a-suit, no one in Hollywood does it better than Mark Ronson and Kanye West. But one of my style icons, Lapo Elkan, absolutely murders the look.
So, I urge you to step out of your comfort zones and try it. If you’re going to do it, do it right with these 5 tips: .
1. Wear simple suits that are not too bold.
I personally would do a bold lapel suit with sneakers, but to start off with that could be a bit too hardcore.
2. Stick with Charcoal Grey, Navy Blue, or Pearl Grey suits.
3. When selecting the sneakers, only do slim and simple kicks.
For example some good ones that are cheap are white Chuck Taylors & White Adidas Stan Smiths. They both have a simple, sleek and vintage look.
4. This should be more of a summer look so loose the socks.
5. As always, it’s all about keeping the look slim and tailored.
In regards to suit details, keep it simple. A slim tie, linen pocket square, and no belt will keep the look a bit informal.